Antoné “Chooky” Caldwell & The Truth (Funk/Soul/R&B)
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!!
ABOUT THE ARTIST
Antone’ “Chooky” Caldwell is a Multi-Instrumentalist, Composer, Producer, and Engineer born and raised in the Nation’s Capital Washington, DC. With generations of talented musicians in his family, Chooky was destined to be born with great talent and musical genius. He received his 1st musical instrument at the age of 5 when his father, Melvin Caldwell, gave him a bass guitar for Christmas. “As I got older, I learned how to play different instruments and enjoyed the freedom of composing and writing songs,” says Chooky. His love of music and instruments is evident every time he takes the stage. He’s not only a master of the bass guitar but also the trombone, piano, sousaphone, lead guitar, and percussion.
Chooky’s musical aptitude transcends the limitations of musical genres and has afforded him the opportunity to perform in a variety of places, from churches to sold-out stadiums nationally and internationally. As one of the music industry’s most respected musician’s Chooky has worked with a variety of national talents and professionals including Heather Headley, Macy Gray, Sisqo of the group Dru Hill, Snoop Dogg, Mariah Carey, The Pussycat Dolls, Rahsaan Patterson, London based recording artist, Ali, and Gospel recording artists Andrae’ Crouch, and Shirley Caesar. “The experience and advice I received from these great artists, in addition to my passion and hard work, prepared me for this chapter in my life,” says Chooky.
A veteran on the musical stage, Chooky is also very skilled off the stage and has contributed numerous compositions to the world’s music library. He produced the song “Full Time” for Heather Headly’s 2002 Album This is Who I Am and co-produced “No Thang on Me” for Snoop Dogg’s’ 2004 Platinum album Rhythm & Gangsta. Most notable, Chooky engineered and produced Jazz Saxophonist Ski Johnson’s album New Beginnings, which topped at #1 on the Billboard charts in the Contemporary Jazz category for three solid weeks. In addition to music chartings and rave reviews, Chooky received two Grammy nominations in 2009 for his work as producer and engineer on New Beginnings.
Chooky’s music has been described as riveting and heartfelt while at the same time signifying deep meaning. “I never compose a song that doesn’t move me first. I have to feel it in order for the audience to feel it. I often say that the audience is eavesdropping on a conversation the band and I are having with God. My music will always reflect who I am,” says Chooky. While Chooky’s heart is open to all genres of music, he credits his grandfather and guitarist the late Rev. Jesse O. Flood for his gospel musical influence and for being an influential role model.
Chooky will debut his newest and critically acclaimed project, Subject 2 Change, which flaunts strong jazz, soul, and rhythm & blues flavors. His gospel influences appear on the project as well, most notably in the re-mastered classic “How Great Thou Art”, which is dedicated to “Grandpa Flood”. The project’s single “Back Again” not only captures Chooky’s musical talents but reacquaints listeners with his vocal abilities.
Subject 2 Change also features a host of world-renowned writers, producers, and musicians including Marcus Johnson, Summertime FLO; Warren Jones, A Touch of Latin; Vohn Higginbotham and Chris “Biscuit” Bynum, Ducci’s Dirty Funk; Jamal Moore, Long Overdue; Daryl Woodson, Consuela’s Star Child; and Deandre “Dre King” Shaifer, Bassic Feelings. Caldwell has released two other projects to date, The Eargasmic Reincarnation (2002) and Bassically Chook (2011).
Beyú Caffé is an all ages venue.
- Seating is on a priority basis, with patrons who have purchased tickets in advance being given preference. Walk in patrons will be seated as soon as possible; we will make every effort to accommodate requests, however specific tables are not guaranteed.
- We recommend purchasing tickets via computer (not tablet or mobile device) on a Chrome browser which will allow patrons to choose their own seats. Currently, the mobile app does not allow patrons to choose seats. There will be a $1 service fee per ticket to move seats after purchase.
- Seating for the first show begins one hour before the first set. We recommend patrons for the first show arrive early (by 6:15 pm) to have ample time to enjoy their meal. The restaurant will be cleared at 8:15 to accommodate the second seating. Seating for the second show begins 15 minutes before the second set.
- We can hold reserved tables for up to 15 minutes after the reservation time. After 15 minutes, we will have to release the reserved table, unless we are notified by phone that you want to change your reservation time.
- Please be aware that parties of more than 9 will be subject to a party minimum of $25 per person for jazz events. This amount will be in addition to, rather than including, the ticket price for the evening, and all applicable taxes and gratuity.
- Open Mic Night - Reservations cannot be made for Open Mic Night. There is a $5 cover charge. Seats are given out on a first come, first served basis. To ensure that your party is seated together all people must be present. We will do our best to accommodate guests, but seating is not guaranteed for parties with late arrivals.
- Tickets are sold online, over the phone (919) 683-1058 or in person at the café.
- ALL SALES ARE FINAL & NON REFUNDABLE, unless the venue cancels the performance due to natural disaster or other unforeseeable circumstance.
- 10:30pm all bar stools and seats in the 50s will be removed to accommodate the late night series. Patrons seated in the 60s (bench by the wall) may also be asked to move depending on late night reservations.
- There are no discounts on tickets no matter the group size
- Beyú Caffé does have dinner/show packages available for 12 or more with set menus to facilitate your evening. Contact Bronwen Mischel directly for more information at email@example.com
- There is no official dress code, however the atmosphere is best suited for dress business casual
For Our Disabled Patrons
- Performance area is accessible and on street level
- Restrooms are located on the main floor and easily accessible.
- If you are in a wheelchair please call the café so we can hold specific space to accommodate the you.