Be Connected: Legal Sips with host Mavis Gragg
When: Tue, Jul 25
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm, Free
Legal Sips Events Offer Education on Legal Issues
DURHAM, North Carolina— Bars and bartenders foster conversation. Attorney Mavis Gragg has taken that accepted notion to another level with a monthly event at Beyù Caffé called Legal Sips, which takes place every fourth Tuesday at 7 p.m. Legal Sips offers a dynamic discussion about legal issues that allows attendees to interact with members of the legal community and pose questions while enjoying a signature cocktail. Admission is free.
The July Legal Sips will be about LGBTQ issues including the additional letters that have been added on. Our guests will be Durham attorney Milan Pham of NicholsonPham and Carrboro Mayor Lydia Lavelle. We will discuss how equal marriage rights only scratch the surface when it comes to families as well as other pressing legal topics.
At previous Legal Sips local attorneys and Triangle residents have discussed:
• Voting Rights with Allison Riggs of the Southern Coalition of Social Justice
• Police Stops and Police Accountability with Randy Griffin of Frazier and Griffin, PLLC and Joseph Kennedy of UNC School of Law
• Love Law (family law) with Tamla Tymus of Frazier and Griffin, PLLC and Julie Woodmansee of Woodmansee & Zombatfalvy
• “Sex at Work” (sexual harassment) with Leto Copeley and Valerie Johnson of Copeley, Johnson, and Groninger, PLLC
• “Environmental Justice” to include climate change and gentrification May— “Alcoholic Beverage Law” to include history of law and the drink, as well as, current laws, enforcement, and the economics of restrictive laws
• “Intellectual Property” to include trademark, copyrights, and contracts
About Beyu Caffe
Beyù Caffè’s mission is to be the ULTIMATE community gathering place where our passion for great atmosphere, great experience, and great service, will allow each guest and employee to Be You. Beyù Caffè (pronounced be-you) is a combination of four business models in downtown Durham, NC – coffee shop, restaurant, bar, and live jazz club – successfully wrapped into one unique business venture. The restaurant offers breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desserts in addition to a special brunch menu on both Saturday and Sunday mornings. They offer premium, live jazz supporting both local artists and students, while also bringing in national recording artists. www.beyucaffe.com
The Legal Sips series is part of Beyu’s Be Connected program, your community connection to the latest issues in the arts, culture, music and politics, produced by Angel Dozier with new Be Connected host Pierce Freelon beginning the 2017-2018 season.
Beyú Caffé is an all ages venue.
- Seating is on a priority basis, with patrons who have purchased tickets in advance being given preference. Walk in patrons will be seated as soon as possible; we will make every effort to accommodate requests, however specific tables are not guaranteed.
- Seating for the first show begins one hour before the first set. Seating for the second show begins 15 minutes before the second set.
- We can hold reserved tables for up to 15 minutes after the reservation time. After 15 minutes, we will have to release the reserved table, unless we are notified by phone that you want to change your reservation time.
- Please be aware that parties of more than 9 will be subject to a party minimum of $25 per person for jazz events. This amount will be in addition to, rather than including, the ticket price for the evening, and all applicable taxes and gratuity.
- Tickets are sold online, over the phone (919) 683-1058 or in person at the café.
- ALL SALES ARE FINAL & NON REFUNDABLE, unless the venue cancels the performance due to natural disaster or other unforeseeable circumstance.
- There are no discounts on tickets no matter the group size
- Beyú Caffé does have dinner/show packages available for 12 or more with set menus to facilitate your evening. Contact the café manager Malachi Kosanovich directly for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is no official dress code, however the atmosphere is best suited for dress business casual
For Our Disabled Patrons
- Performance area is accessible and on street level
- Restrooms are located on the main floor and easily accessible.
- If you are in a wheelchair please call the café so we can hold specific space to accommodate the you.