Dex Bass Experience
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!!!
ABOUT THE ARTIST
There’s something almost eccentric about an artist who can get lost in performing a song without leaving the stage. But, then there’s Bassist Dexter Allen Whitaker who manages to ride the rhythm of his fingers, taking his audience on a musical escapade from the soul of his bass, while giving them a “living in the moment” experience that will be talked about for days. Fans call it a rhythmic love affair. Whitaker calls it… The DexBass Experience.
Dexter Allen Whitaker, a renowned international bassist, has carved out a music niche of his own by diversifying his signature sounds of Pop, Jazz, R&B, Gospel, Classical, and Latin as he carries some of music’s most profound lyrics with his bass. A self-taught instrumentalist, and the youngest of five siblings, Whitaker was raised in Fairfield, North Carolina, a small town in the south that provided him much time and desire to explore music. It wasn’t long before Whitaker would fall in love with an instrument that would later become his passion — the bass guitar.
Whitaker would later take his passion to Elizabeth City State University (ECSU) where he performed with the award-winning ECSU Gospel Choir. While attending ECSU, Whitaker performed as a side musician for the Marvelettes and worked with R&B recording artist, Roger Trotman (Zapp). During his studies at ECSU, Whitaker also performed with multi-Grammy Award winning Gospel artist, Shirley Caesar, which he credits as one of the highlights of his music career. From that experience Whitaker had the opportunity to share the stage with numerous Gospel greats such as Daryl Coley, Keith Pringle, and the New Jersey Mass Choir.
Today, Whitaker is widely known for his “Monk to funk” mantra and delivery. He has performed for two U.S. Presidents and has rocked the stages on three continents, in five countries, close to 50 states, and countless cities. He has performed with top Soul and Jazz artists including Jean Carne, Maysa, Rhonda Thomas, Bobby Lyle, Don Cox, Tracy Bird, Tom Browne, Jackiem Joyner, Eric Darius, Nick Colionne, Peter White,Warren Hill, Paul Taylor, Shilts, and even young rising star, Olivia. Additionally, Whitaker serves as bassist for his home church, Simon Temple A.M.E. Zion in Fayetteville, NC.
When not gracing his bass strings, Whitaker enjoys his role as “a family man”, which includes anything from spontaneous trips to grilling for family and friends at his home. Whitaker credits his evolving music career to his faith in Christ and the support of his soul mate and life partner Ericka J.Whitaker, who is also his Manager. The Whitakers are the proud parents of baby daughter, Kennedy Marie, and puppy, Dolce. They reside right outside of Fayetteville,North Carolina.
Beyú Caffé is an all ages venue.
- Seating is on a priority basis, with patrons who have purchased tickets in advance being given preference. Walk in patrons will be seated as soon as possible; we will make every effort to accommodate requests, however specific tables are not guaranteed.
- We recommend purchasing tickets via computer (not tablet or mobile device) on a Chrome browser which will allow patrons to choose their own seats. Currently, the mobile app does not allow patrons to choose seats. There will be a $1 service fee per ticket to move seats after purchase.
- Seating for the first show begins one hour before the first set. We recommend patrons for the first show arrive early (by 6:15 pm) to have ample time to enjoy their meal. The restaurant will be cleared at 8:15 to accommodate the second seating. Seating for the second show begins 15 minutes before the second set.
- We can hold reserved tables for up to 15 minutes after the reservation time. After 15 minutes, we will have to release the reserved table, unless we are notified by phone that you want to change your reservation time.
- Please be aware that parties of more than 9 will be subject to a party minimum of $25 per person for jazz events. This amount will be in addition to, rather than including, the ticket price for the evening, and all applicable taxes and gratuity.
- Open Mic Night - Reservations cannot be made for Open Mic Night. There is a $5 cover charge. Seats are given out on a first come, first served basis. To ensure that your party is seated together all people must be present. We will do our best to accommodate guests, but seating is not guaranteed for parties with late arrivals.
- Tickets are sold online, over the phone (919) 683-1058 or in person at the café.
- ALL SALES ARE FINAL & NON REFUNDABLE, unless the venue cancels the performance due to natural disaster or other unforeseeable circumstance.
- 10:30pm all bar stools will be removed to accommodate the late night “After the Show" series
- There are no discounts on tickets no matter the group size
- Beyú Caffé does have dinner/show packages available for 12 or more with set menus to facilitate your evening. Contact Bronwen Mischel directly for more information at email@example.com
- There is no official dress code, however the atmosphere is best suited for dress business casual
For Our Disabled Patrons
- Performance area is accessible and on street level
- Restrooms are located on the main floor and easily accessible.
- If you are in a wheelchair please call the café so we can hold specific space to accommodate the you.