James “Saxsmo” Gates (Straight Ahead Jazz)
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!!
ABOUT THE ARTIST
James “Saxsmo” Gates is one of Richmond’s premier musicians. As a saxophonist, Saxsmo has a flaming passion that is evident in every note played. Undeniable passion along with his bell-like tone quality ignites a fire that is sure to light the hearts and souls of all true jazz enthusiasts.
Saxsmo is a Richmond native and graduated from John F. Kennedy High School in 1978. He attended Virginia State University and later transferred under a full scholarship to the prestigious Berklee College of Music. He received his Bachelor of Music degree from Berklee in 1984. Also with a full scholarship, he received his Masters in Jazz Studies at North Carolina Central University 2011. Saxsmo is now the Director/Coordinator of the Dr. Billy Taylor Jazz Studies Program at Virginia State University. Gates has played and traveled extensively in the United States and abroad performing with such notable artists as Joe Kennedy, Jr., Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Dizzy Gillespie, Clark Terry, Walter Davis, Jr., Walter Bishop, Jr., The Temptations, Dianne Reeves, Jimmy Cobb, Hod O’Brien, Larry Willis, Roberta Flack, Marvin Gaye, Larry Carlton, Billy Kilson, Jeff Lorber, Alex Bugnon and The Main Ingredients.
Saxsmo credits the forefathers and Masters of Jazz for his musical foundation and passes it along every chance he gets by serving as a teacher and instructor of jazz.
Saxsmo released his first CD in August 1993 entitled “Yes I Can” and has released his newest CD “C’Mon Over To My House”. Saxsmo’s Brand New Exciting Recording called “It’s Time” on the 804jazz Label featuring the great Fred Wesley has not only made the Smoothjazz.com Top 50 Indie Charts #45 and was also Nominated for this year 2009 Grammy Awards for Best Contemporary Jazz Album of the Year # 43
Saxsmo’s present recording was released January 1, 2013, called “Gates Wide Open” with many of his best friends such as Fred Wesley, Freddie Fox, and Walter Beasley. Nominated twice for this year 2013 Grammy Awards for Best Arranger and Best Soloist (# 18 on the Smooth Indie Charts). 804Jazz Release of the Recorded Single and Video “Together We Can Make It” September 8, 2017, Nationally and International!
Beyú Caffé is an all ages venue.
- Seating is on a priority basis, with patrons who have purchased tickets in advance being given preference. Walk in patrons will be seated as soon as possible; we will make every effort to accommodate requests, however specific tables are not guaranteed.
- We recommend purchasing tickets via computer (not tablet or mobile device) on a Chrome browser which will allow patrons to choose their own seats. Currently, the mobile app does not allow patrons to choose seats. There will be a $1 service fee per ticket to move seats after purchase.
- Seating for the first show begins one hour before the first set. We recommend patrons for the first show arrive early (by 6:15 pm) to have ample time to enjoy their meal. The restaurant will be cleared at 8:15 to accommodate the second seating. Seating for the second show begins 15 minutes before the second set.
- We can hold reserved tables for up to 15 minutes after the reservation time. After 15 minutes, we will have to release the reserved table, unless we are notified by phone that you want to change your reservation time.
- Please be aware that parties of more than 9 will be subject to a party minimum of $25 per person for jazz events. This amount will be in addition to, rather than including, the ticket price for the evening, and all applicable taxes and gratuity.
- Open Mic Night - Reservations cannot be made for Open Mic Night. There is a $5 cover charge. Seats are given out on a first come, first served basis. To ensure that your party is seated together all people must be present. We will do our best to accommodate guests, but seating is not guaranteed for parties with late arrivals.
- Tickets are sold online, over the phone (919) 683-1058 or in person at the café.
- ALL SALES ARE FINAL & NON REFUNDABLE, unless the venue cancels the performance due to natural disaster or other unforeseeable circumstance.
- 10:30pm all bar stools and seats in the 50s will be removed to accommodate the late night series. Patrons seated in the 60s (bench by the wall) may also be asked to move depending on late night reservations.
- There are no discounts on tickets no matter the group size
- Beyú Caffé does have dinner/show packages available for 12 or more with set menus to facilitate your evening. Contact Bronwen Mischel directly for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is no official dress code, however the atmosphere is best suited for dress business casual
For Our Disabled Patrons
- Performance area is accessible and on street level
- Restrooms are located on the main floor and easily accessible.
- If you are in a wheelchair please call the café so we can hold specific space to accommodate the you.