When: Fri, Dec 04
8:00 pm - 11:00 pm, $8 per show
Seven years ago, Jua Howard was making something of a name for himself in
neo-soul circles, crooning in velvety tenor tones reminiscent of Luther Vandross
and Donny Hathaway in clubs from New York City to London. Anticipation, his
2007 self-released debut CD of mostly original ballads, was picking up play on
smooth-jazz and R&B stations.
Yet Jua, who uses only his first name professionally (it’s Swahili for “sun”), was
having second thoughts about his musical direction. “I got tired of what I was
doing,” the Chicago-born singer says. “With the neo-soul scene, everything started
sounding the same.”
During the next five years while working at Howard University as an admissions officer, Jua got the opportunity to work on the side as a background vocalist with the Blackbyrds, the band best-known for such 1970s hits as “Walking in Rhythm” and “Happy Music.”
“Jazz was clearly a big part of their foundation,” he says of the Blackbyrds.
“Singing with them made me think about pursing jazz as a career.”
In the summer of 2009, Jua moved to the San Francisco Bay
Area and enrolled at Berkeley’s Jazzschool Institute, now known as the California
Jazz Conservatory. During his year there he became the first recipient of the
school’s Mark Murphy Vocal Jazz Scholarship, named for veteran poll-winning
singer Murphy. He also studied privately with vocal coach Raz Kennedy, formerly
of Bobby McFerrin’s Voicestra.
Currently dividing his residence between NYC and Raleigh, North Carolina, Jua
now emerges as a unique and highly emotive jazz vocal stylist with a remarkable
sophomore 10-song CD Colors of Life released in June 2014.
Beyú Caffé is an all ages venue.
- Seating is on a priority basis, with patrons who have purchased tickets in advance being given preference. Walk in patrons will be seated as soon as possible; we will make every effort to accommodate requests, however specific tables are not guaranteed.
- Seating for the first show begins one hour before the first set. Seating for the second show begins 15 minutes before the second set.
- We can hold reserved tables for up to 15 minutes after the reservation time. After 15 minutes, we will have to release the reserved table, unless we are notified by phone that you want to change your reservation time.
- Please be aware that parties of more than 9 will be subject to a party minimum of $25 per person for jazz events. This amount will be in addition to, rather than including, the ticket price for the evening, and all applicable taxes and gratuity.
- Tickets are sold online, over the phone (919) 683-1058 or in person at the café.
- ALL SALES ARE FINAL & NON REFUNDABLE, unless the venue cancels the performance due to natural disaster or other unforeseeable circumstance.
- There are no discounts on tickets no matter the group size
- Beyú Caffé does have dinner/show packages available for 12 or more with set menus to facilitate your evening. Contact the café manager Malachi Kosanovich directly for more information at email@example.com
- There is no official dress code, however the atmosphere is best suited for dress business casual
For Our Disabled Patrons
- Performance area is accessible and on street level
- Restrooms are located on the main floor and easily accessible.
- If you are in a wheelchair please call the café so we can hold specific space to accommodate the you.