Kate McGarry w/ Keith Ganz Trio Featuring Paul Creel and Jon Curry (jazz vocals)
When: Fri, Apr 07
7:00 pm - 10:00 pm, $16
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
ABOUT THE BAND
More concerned with the essence of a song than idiomatic limitations, vocalist Kate McGarry and guitarist Keith Ganz bassist Paul Creel and drummer Jonathan Curry have managed to attract the attention of tomorrow’s jazz fans. Beyond their obvious affinity for swing, their eclectic repertoire ranging from Irving Berlin to The Cars, and her signature contralto convey a message with a crystal clarity that precludes the need for gimmick or effect. All that’s left is undeniably honest music that transcends the boundaries of age or genre. With six records including the Grammy nominated, If Less Is More Nothing Is Everything, as well as the critically acclaimed Girl Talk (produced by Ganz) she’s established herself as one of contemporary jazz’s most moving and enigmatic voices. Ganz brings the same authority with his guitar. A North Carolina boy, Ganz has rigorously pursued his craft since moving to New York in 1998, playing around the world with the likes of Harry Connick Jr, Kurt Elling, Luciana Souza and many more. The couple relocated to Durham NC in 2009 and continue to enjoy teaching, traveling and performing across the globe.
Hailed as, “Astute and sensitive” by the New York Times, and “An exceptionally appealing blend of folk and jazz” by The Wall St. Journal. Not to be missed!
Named the #1 Rising Female Vocalist for 2016 by Downbeat Critics Poll
“This band has figured out how to create jazz arrangements of songs by Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Stephen Stills and Ric Ocasek without compromising either the jazz or the rock’n’roll. The substitute chords, elasticized rhythms and deconstructionist solos make this satisfying jazz, while the lyrics are delivered with such forceful urgency that it’s still satisfying rock’n’roll. The songs are transformed but never obscured.” ~ Geoffrey Himes, Best CDs of 2008
McGarry’s unique musical gift is her ability to broadcast emotional transparency with undeniable and artless force. The singer one hears in McGarry’s work is gracious and endearing; she is vulnerable yet unbroken; she is always rapturous. With her musical and life collaborator, the guitarist Keith Ganz, McGarry has been forging a signature approach to standards and new compositions that is immediately fresh and very personal. ~ Kurt Elling, Jazz Times Magazine
Beyú Caffé is an all ages venue.
- Seating is on a priority basis, with patrons who have purchased tickets in advance being given preference. Walk in patrons will be seated as soon as possible; we will make every effort to accommodate requests, however specific tables are not guaranteed.
- Seating for the first show begins one hour before the first set. Seating for the second show begins 15 minutes before the second set.
- We can hold reserved tables for up to 15 minutes after the reservation time. After 15 minutes, we will have to release the reserved table, unless we are notified by phone that you want to change your reservation time.
- Please be aware that parties of more than 9 will be subject to a party minimum of $25 per person for jazz events. This amount will be in addition to, rather than including, the ticket price for the evening, and all applicable taxes and gratuity.
- Tickets are sold online, over the phone (919) 683-1058 or in person at the café.
- ALL SALES ARE FINAL & NON REFUNDABLE, unless the venue cancels the performance due to natural disaster or other unforeseeable circumstance.
- There are no discounts on tickets no matter the group size
- Beyú Caffé does have dinner/show packages available for 12 or more with set menus to facilitate your evening. Contact the café manager Malachi Kosanovich directly for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is no official dress code, however the atmosphere is best suited for dress business casual
For Our Disabled Patrons
- Performance area is accessible and on street level
- Restrooms are located on the main floor and easily accessible.
- If you are in a wheelchair please call the café so we can hold specific space to accommodate the you.