Noah Powell (straight ahead jazz, vocals)
When: Fri, Oct 06
7:00 pm - 10:00 pm, $8
ON SALE NOW!
“Arguably the most adventurous male jazz singer yet to be fully known throughout the genre” Noah Powell is an idiosyncratic stylist and a restless improviser who push the limits of melody and harmony as much as any bebop horn player. The multivoiced Powell is capable of radical, off-the-cuff reworkings of whatever he sings, abruptly changing tempos and dynamics, or rearranging the lyrics into distinctive, off-the-beat rhythmic patterns. He can scat at lightning speed, or drive home an emotion with wordless, bluesy moans and sighs. Yet as much as Noah Powell is fascinated by pure, abstract sound, he is also a sensitive lyric interpreter of the ballad when he chooses.
Noah Powell is a native of Kinston NC and a graduate of North Carolina Central University (1983). As a working musician he has collaborated with some of the finest musicians in his native North Carolina. From 1984-86 Noah worked with Chip Crawford and in 1985 he replaced Nina Freelon as the vocalist for the William McLaughlin quartet later to be renamed Mastertrax. Noah joined the vocal group “A String of Pearls” directed by Ed. Paolantonio in 1986. Throughout the rest of the 80’s Noah did stints with the beloved Brother Yusuf Salim, Eve Cornelius and the Scott Sawyer trio among others. During the first half of the 1990s Noah was front-man for the Stanley Baird group. At the late 1990s into early 2000, Noah collaborated with the great guitarist Bob Tapp. From 2011-2013 Noah collaborated and shared the stage with pianist Allison Wiener and 2012-2014 with the Doug Largent organ trio. Noah is currently performing throughout the triangle and beyond with units of his choosing. His triangle trio are solid working musicians, bandleaders and educators in their own right. (Pianist) Dr. Stephen Anderson UNC Chapel Hill, (Drummer) Tyler leak North Carolina Central University and Bassist John Simonetti NC School of the Arts.
Beyú Caffé is an all ages venue.
- Seating is on a priority basis, with patrons who have purchased tickets in advance being given preference. Walk in patrons will be seated as soon as possible; we will make every effort to accommodate requests, however specific tables are not guaranteed.
- Seating for the first show begins one hour before the first set. Seating for the second show begins 15 minutes before the second set.
- We can hold reserved tables for up to 15 minutes after the reservation time. After 15 minutes, we will have to release the reserved table, unless we are notified by phone that you want to change your reservation time.
- Please be aware that parties of more than 9 will be subject to a party minimum of $25 per person for jazz events. This amount will be in addition to, rather than including, the ticket price for the evening, and all applicable taxes and gratuity.
- Tickets are sold online, over the phone (919) 683-1058 or in person at the café.
- ALL SALES ARE FINAL & NON REFUNDABLE, unless the venue cancels the performance due to natural disaster or other unforeseeable circumstance.
- There are no discounts on tickets no matter the group size
- Beyú Caffé does have dinner/show packages available for 12 or more with set menus to facilitate your evening. Contact the café manager Malachi Kosanovich directly for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is no official dress code, however the atmosphere is best suited for dress business casual
For Our Disabled Patrons
- Performance area is accessible and on street level
- Restrooms are located on the main floor and easily accessible.
- If you are in a wheelchair please call the café so we can hold specific space to accommodate the you.