The Beyu Group
Job Description: Finance Manager
Job Status: Full-time & Exempt
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Our story begins with Beyu Caffe. Beyu Caffe (pronounced be-you) was founded in 2009 by Dorian Bolden to be the ultimate community gathering place where everyone could “be you”.
The name and idea stems from Dorian’s lifelong experiences in various social and cultural settings whereby he believes that we all have more in common than we do differences; and he believes that if you ultimately believe in yourself and the God-given talents you were born with, then God and the Universe will handle everything else. Ultimately, you simply need to be true to yourself and “be you”.
Today, the Beyu Group is an innovative food service company based in Durham, NC comprised of three core concepts including retail cafes, an online coffee company, and (Beyu Food Project which produce and distribute RTF meals through our community) and distribution company. Beyu is growing and looking for team members who share our purpose and core values.
To uplift and inspire communities through excellence.
The Finance Manager works closely with the CFO and the senior leadership team to manage the financial/accounting related aspects of the business and strategic initiatives. This includes all operational responsibilities relating to FP&A, including forecasting and budgeting, company spending and profitability, GAAP accounting, ERP and GL implementation and management, and more. The Finance Manager maintains high standards of ethics, integrity, and honesty. This person will exemplify and promote Beyu’s Purpose and Core Values with internal and external stakeholders (i.e., staff, guests, investors, programmatic partners, and the public).
The culture at Beyu is unique in that we value our team dynamics over other measurables. Therefore, the ideal candidate would not only meet the skillset criteria outlined but also possess the attributes of teamwork and the ability to roll up their sleeves and implement as they go. The Finance Manager must be agile in their approach to completing critical tasks with limited resources. Our core business currently operates on a Monday through Saturday schedule and as a result, the Finance Manager may be required to support our operations team during operating hours on an ad hoc basis.
Our Core Values
- Just Be You (unless you’re a jerk, then be ‘you’ someplace else)
- Hunger for Excellence
- Go the Extra Mile
- Be Service Driven
- Lead with Integrity
- Teamwork over Ego. Always!
Core Responsibilities (including, but not limited to)
Accounting, FP&A (Financial Planning & Analysis), Other
- Ensures that daily, weekly, monthly, and other periodic accounting work is conducted in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ensures that books are compliant with GAAP, company policies, as well as other relevant regulations and covenants.
- Manages the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary to accurately report business results.
- Prepares accurate periodic financial reports including, but not limited to, P&Ls, balance sheets, cash flow statements, and specialized management reports.
- Provides management with information vital to the decision-making process.
- Assesses current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes.
- Evaluates, develops, and maintains accounting and internal control systems.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting databases, as needed.
- Develops and monitors business performance metrics.
- Analyzes the trends of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), especially relating to financial metrics such as sales, expenditures, and profit margin.
- Monitors KPIs and identify the cause of any unexpected variances.
- Develops and continually improves budgeting, financial projections, and operating forecasts.
- Ad-hoc business performance reporting.
- Presents the monthly and quarterly financial reports of various units and departments.
- Implements business intelligence tools and dashboard reports.
- Develops financial models and analyzes them to support strategic initiatives.
- Supports business decisions with data-driven analysis.
- Evaluates, secures, and maintains business insurance coverage appropriate of company.
HR, IT, Legal, Insurance
- Maintains outsourced HR administration services.
- Recommends and implements any changes to HR administrative services.
- Ensures that payroll is processed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintains IT support consistent with company needs and priorities.
- Maintains outsourced legal services.
- Evaluates and maintains business insurance coverage appropriate of company.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or MBA highly preferred
- 5+ years extensive management experience in the restaurant and Food & Beverage industry supervising staff at all levels
- Experience with multi-unit concepts with 5 or more units and an Average Unit Volume (AUV) of $750K+
- Proficiencies with Microsoft Office and Google products
- Proficiencies in a broad range of restaurant intelligence and restaurant operations technology platforms
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- A professional, multi-task oriented, organized leader who possesses dynamic verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong leadership, change management, and communication skills; this person will not only be responsible for the management and development for their team, but also have significant interaction with the Beyu Leadership Team, functional management, and operations people within the company.
- A genuine team player who can work closely with all levels and with proven success working with a visionary leader.
- Innovative and creative self-starter with the ability to devise solutions to complex problems and take a hands-on approach to implementing those solutions.
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Business intuition and ability to coach teams through business development opportunities including analyzing market strategies, evaluating risks and potentials, estimating partners’ needs and goals, developing and presenting proposals, closing deals, and integrating agreed upon requirements within business operations.
- Proven business savvy and financial acumen applied to the financial, accounting, HR, and IT management of the company.
- Proven ability to work closely with key stakeholders (e.g., investors, partners, and key vendors).
- Strong staff and team management ability, including experience in goal setting, work plan development, and coaching people to attain significant goals.
- Experience effectively recruiting, managing, and developing high performance teams.
- Ability to attract, develop, motivate, and lead a team of professionals recognized for their technical, general business, and interpersonal skills.
Compensation & Benefits
- Up to $50,000.00 Starting Annual Gross Salary (paid weekly!!!)
- Remote work environment and flexible schedule.
- 2 weeks paid time off (accrued by pay period).
- One free meal and specialty brewed coffee beverage per workday at any Beyu location.
- 50% off other meals and specialty brewed coffee beverage at any Beyu location.
- 30% off bags of coffee.
- More benefits and employee policies are coming in 2021.