Barista - 341 West Main Street
--- For Immediate Hire (open until filled) ---
Our story begins with Beyu Caffe. Beyu Caffe (pronounced be-you) was founded in 2009 by Dorian Bolden to be the ultimate community gathering place where everyone could “be you”.
The name and idea stems from Dorian’s lifelong experiences in various social and cultural settings whereby he believes that we all have more in common than we do differences; and he believes that if you ultimately believe in yourself and the God-given talents you were born with, then God and the Universe will handle everything else. Ultimately, you simply need to be true to yourself and “be you”.
Today, the Beyu Group is an innovative food service company based in Durham, NC comprised of three core concepts including retail cafes, an online coffee company, and (Beyu Food Project which produce and distribute RTF meals through our community) and distribution company. Beyu is growing and looking for team members who share our purpose and core values.
To uplift and inspire communities through excellence.
Our Core Values
- Just Be You (unless you’re a jerk, then be ‘you’ someplace else)
- Hunger for Excellence
- Go the Extra Mile
- Be Service Driven
- Lead with Integrity
- Teamwork over Ego. Always!
We are searching for an engaging, courteous Barista who is passionate about food and beverage preparation and education. The Barista will greet customers, answer their questions, take orders and accept payments, and prepare and serve food and drinks. You will also maintain a clean and well-stocked workspace and dining area, update displays, and continuously expand your knowledge of food and beverage quality controls, preparation methods, and presentation. To succeed as a barista, you should be committed to providing customers with excellent service. You should be positive, friendly, knowledgeable, and polite.
- Welcoming customers, informing them about specials or new items, answering questions, and accepting orders and payments.
- Preparing foods, such as sandwiches or baked goods, and grinding and blending coffee beans, brewing coffee and tea, and serving items to customers.
- Packaging food and beverages for sale.
- Selling coffee and tea blends, highlighting the differences between items, and educating customers about brewing methods.
- Cleaning and restocking work and dining areas, emptying trash and sanitizing equipment and utensils.
- Learning about brewing methods, beverage blends, food preparation, and presentation techniques to improve food quality.
- Updating signage and displays to attract customers.
- Taking inventory and replenishing items in display cases, at tables, or behind the counter.
- Working as part of a fun, high-energy team.
- Adhering to all food safety regulations and quality controls.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2 or more years in a restaurant environment
- Experience in food and beverage preparation or customer service preferred.
- Training and willingness to continue learning about food and beverage preparation.
- Exceptional listening and communication skills.
- Ability to walk, bend, and stand for extended periods.
- Hours of Operation 8AM-3PM, early mornings, weekends, and holidays.
- A polite, engaging personality.
- Commitment to customer satisfaction and service excellence.
- Willingness to work as part of a high-energy, efficient team in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to embrace and promote Beyu’s purpose and core values
- Familiarity with telephone, office, and point-of-sale software
- Able to work in typical restaurant and food production facility conditions.
We appreciate you considering the Beyu team for your next career move!